Saturday, July 20, 2013

Lounge with Water and Show Prep

Lounge with Water and Show Prep 

 How to beat the heat and get work done.

Day 18:    

It was a warm one, not hot, but warm enough.  Today I had a willing volunteer at the barn.  Greg (Amigo's adopter) was willing to assist me in trying to pick Opal's feet up.  She's not prone to flee with me, but I don't really want to turn my back to her and get a chunk taken out of me.  I was just going to try her front feet.  The moment I touched her cannon bone, she lifted her leg and set it right back down.  We did this several times on both front legs.  She began to hold them up a split second or two longer each time.  A good start, we ended that before she could get real frustrated.

Opal still wasn't overly fond of hoses or the way they hissed as they sprayed water.  If it looks like a snake, and sounds like a snake, it must be a snake.  We walked to the round pen and I turned her loose.  Greg handed me the hose and when it was on, I began to spray her.  At first she moved away from it, but never faster than a trot.  She snorted at the hose several times, reversing direction when she came to it.  After a few laps she went right over it and settled into a nice walk.  I was able to get within 5 feet of her with the hose while she stood still.  Once she was dripping wet with water, I turned her loose to graze.  It didn't take her long to find a nice, warm, sandy area in the arena to roll in.  You know, she's the same color covered in sand?  


 Water fun.



Day 19:

Our barn is having a Horse Show Play Day this weekend.  Nothing huge, but there's ribbons (which I made) and High Point awards, so it counts as Opal...errrr...Precious Declaration's first show.  We will be doing 2 of the classes tomorrow, bobbing for apples and in hand horse course.  Bobbing for apples involves me leading her to a bucket, bobbing for an apple myself, and walking her across the finish line with it still in my mouth.  Its fun, especially on a hot day.



Today was a rare occasion where my wonderful husband came out to the barn with me and our daughter.  I don't always think to have other people take pictures or video of me working Opal, but today I did.  He took a video of our whole horse course practice run today.  He also gave Opal a carrot, and she kept looking for his pockets for more.  She's a fast learner.  Thank you dear!  Enjoy, and I'll be posting about Precious Declaration's first show soon!






No comments:

Post a Comment