Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Graduation Day

Graduation Day 
 
Opal and Ehawee turned out in the arena. 

Day 10:   

Opal has done amazingly!  She is responsive and trusting.  She has come so far in what seems like such a short period of time.  Really, I have spent 2-5 hours with her each of these days.  Not all in one block of time, and not all asking her to do something for me either.  Some of that time was for cleaning her pen, some of that time was watching her eat, some of that time was eating my lunch and taking breaks in the shade of her shelter.  Letting her get to know me in our down time is equally as important as the training sessions.  That's my biggest piece of advice for any one with a new horse...spend time with them, get to know them and let them get to know you both in and outside training.

Yesterday the mares had the day off, both were happy to see me today.  I walked into the pen and Opal approached me.  I slipped on her halter, walked out the pen and headed for the arena.  She walked beautifully.  No stopping, no tension in the lead rope, stayed right with me every step as if she had done this a thousand times before.  I removed the halter and turned to walk away form her, but she followed me, so we played a game of follow the leader.  She trotted and even cantered to catch up to me, but once her head reached my shoulder, she would slow down and keep pace with me.  We weaved in and out of the barrels and cones in the arena, she never hesitated.

Ehawee joined her in the arena as well.  Opal had not been overly thrilled with the water being sprayed in her stall Sunday, and with it being hot today I figured now was as good as any.  I filled up the small water bucket and began to hose the dirt near it down.  Ehawee walked right up and let me squirt her all over with the hose.  Opal was content letting the water run into the bucket and touching it that way.  A good start.  I slowly began to spray the dirt again and on occasion would put a carrot in the stream.  It didn't take her long to be brave enough to get that carrot.  She let me hose off her legs below her knees, but wasn't thrilled about the rest of her.  Next thing I know, Ehawee and Opal and enjoying rolling in the cool sand.  Pony see, Pony do right?




Next, it was time to meet the other 2 mares Opal would be sharing a pasture with.  Since the arena is neutral territory, we introduce them in there. I brought in one mare at a time and let them work out who the boss would be.  Opal was content to hide behind Ehawee while this was sorted out.  Opal is the youngest and is still settling in to her role in her new home.  A few expected and normal squeals and kicks later and everyone was happy and grazing.  Time for the second mare.  Round 2 went as smoothly as round 1.  



 Mares working it all out.


After they sat in the arena together I took the mares back to their pasture.  With everyone tucked in and the temperature nearing 100, it was time to call it a day.


 All moved in to their new pasture home.




1 comment:

  1. I love the water videos! Opal really has bonded with Ahawee :)

    ReplyDelete