Sunday, January 12, 2014

A busy week.

A busy week. 

Bracelets made from my mare's tails.
   
 Day 68/69/70:

Opal had a full week of handling this week.  Lots of in hand work as well as a ride.  OF course the day I rode it was pretty windy, but I'm use to that now.  I've been working with Opal and staying out of my space unless invited while we are working.  Until now she's come to me for security in 'scary' situations, however, since she's progressing more, she can learn to stand/ground tie near me without coming into my space.  She did well once she got the concept.  I also showed her small clippers.  While she wasn't totally sold on the idea of these noise makers being near her nose, she did end up touching them.

We rode for the first time this year.  She did pretty good, until she decided she wanted to go see her friend instead of heading to the other end of the arena where I was asking her to go.  While we started this at the trot, we eventually went to the walk until she got the idea of what I wanted. Opal got some new saddle bags for Christmas and got to try them on today, I think they will do great!

Clippers, we aren't sure about these yet.
 
 
Pretty snazzy saddle bags, Thanks Grandmare!

 After a hard day's work, its nice to enjoy the scraps of hay off the truck.

12 week challenge 
Hours logged this week: 10
Total hours: 12
Rides: 1
Ehawee:

Ehawee has had a fun week getting to know a new friend, Linda.  Linda has been helping around our ranch for a while now and is starting to work with some horses, including Ehawee.  Linda loves to just brush and love on Ehawee, and Ehawee is more than happy to eat up all the attention (and carrots).  The two of them worked in the horse course today and did very well.  Ehawee has put weight on and is starting to build muscle again, her hoof only has the slightest bump at the bottom of it form her injury nearly a year ago.  



On a side note:  
I always do a one last look before I leave the barn.  This week it paid off.  We had a horse get cast (stuck) under the pipe fencing after a roll.  We ended up having to undo the fencing to get him out, but since I saw him, he was only down maybe a hour total versus two or more hours until feeding time.  This horse also was well trained in easy and ho, making it a thousand times easier to work with him.  Get in the habit, one last look over before you drive away, it may save a life one day.


No comments:

Post a Comment