Monday, October 28, 2013

The Great Migration: Part 1

The Great Migration: Part 1 

Arriving at the barn before the sun is even fully up.

This whole weekend was an huge success, and that's an understatement.  There was so much that went on each day, I have so many pictures and videos that if I put it all in one post, it would be a bit overwhelming.  I decided I'd break the weekend up and post individually about the events of each day.
 
Day 53:

Marialaina came up with the term 'The Great Migration'.  I told her I might have to borrow it.  It really was a migration, even if it was for the weekend.  Four mustangs were going over for the parade, three from our facility, one from Cypress Stables owned by a friend of ours, Tami Daniels.

Opal was still giving a little resitence loading in the very back spot of the trailer, but eventually went in.  Both her and I know she will fit, but it is a bit of a narrow entrance if you don't line it up right.  There was a few delays, traffic and construction, but the drive was beautiful.


We arrived in Nevada around 1p.m. and unloaded the horses and fed them lunch before we tacked up for a short trail ride.  I was going to ride Opal since we were in a big group and with people who knew the area well.  Before leaving for our trial, we killed time playing on the obstical course.  Willis, who is a retired firefighter, collects traffic signals and fire hydrants, which Opal didn't mind walking through the hydrant garden.

 Settling in at our weekend home.


About a quarter of the way through the ride, her neck started sweating.  It was sunny and 75 degrees out, so I continued riding.   The terrain was sandy, few rocks, and low hills.  near the half way mark I dismounted.  Opal was doing great, but was sweaty under her mane, and I can walk as easy as she can carry me.  Three of the California mustangs decided to roll with tack on, something none of them had ever done before, including my Opal.  Guess it was good rolling sand.


 Dirty saddle after a sandy roll.

Opal did well on the trail.  Our biggest challenge was while we were walking were she either wanted to stay right next to me on narrow paths, or she wanted to catch up to her buddies and I would have to circle her.  All in all, it was a great first outing in Nevada.  

Part 2, parade day, coming shortly.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment