Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Challenge Update

Challenge Update 

Trail Challenge competed.


Time has flown by.  I just realized a lot has gone on since my last post a few weeks ago.  I need yo get back into the habit of sitting down at least once a week and doing these updates.

Opal and I were invited out for a nice fall trail ride a few weeks ago with a few other riders form the barn.  Aside form Opal deciding she didn't want to finish going up the hill and would rather side pass downhill, she was a champ.  Not exactly sure what her deal was other than the previous horses protested at a small hole in the trail, and by hole I mean a dip, not a gopher or rabbit hole.  When we came across a group of Boy Scouts out for a nature hike, Opal decided she wanted go with the kids than with her buddies, but listened to me leg when I said no.

 On the trail with barn friends.

At the end of the trail we practiced loading with all 3 horses into a 2 horse straight load trailer.  I am always looking to practice in different trailers.  Having broken down twice on the 10 freeway in Southern California and having to unload horses out of your rig and into another while traffic is speeding by isn't fun.  Even less fun when your horse won't go into any trailer but theirs.   PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!  The rig that rescues you might not be what your horse is accustomed to.

 Checking out the 2 horse trailer after the trail ride.  Opal got a bath right after we practiced.
 
As far as mounted archery is going, my class is tomorrow.   By the end I will have an idea of what gear I will need and what sizes/weights work best.  In the meantime Opal and I have been working on moving off my leg.  I also was able to find a lighter weight (10 pounds+ lighter) western saddle.  It fits us both well and with the weight of the saddle lightened, that puts less stress on her spine.  


The mares have also been introduced to being turned out with Emerald.  First just Emerald and Ehawee since they are buddies.  After a few laps around at a canter with Emerald wanting to lead and be boss, Ehawee finally let her.  Opal and Emerald, on the other hand, just sniffed each other and decided to eat the leaves together.  When all 3 got turned out together, they ran a few laps, then went to rolling and grazing on leaves.  We have a play day at the end of the month and a bomb proofing clinic as well.  I have done a few bomb proofing tasks with my horses in preparation for the clinic.  The end of this month is going to be very busy.  I will try to update more frequently on it  :)






Kip's Horsemanship Throwdown Progress
7 rides
15 hours total
Goals Completed
Groundwork
Jump
Do a Job (new trick, bow.  Load in new trailers)
Trail (see pics above)

PS - PRACTICE TRAILER LOADING! 



No comments:

Post a Comment