Sunday, February 16, 2014

Recovery

Recovering from Colic
 I got goodies in the mail this week!  

The Necklace (left) is Opal's brand number on the front and name on the back from Get Nailed Horse Jewlery.  
Check their site out.  www.getnailedjewelry.com

The painting (right) was part of a challenge for a fellow blogger who paints a watercolor of a mustang each day.  
Linda L. Martin asked for new images a few weeks back and she painted Opal for me. 
Check her site out at www.mustangadaychallenge.blogspot.com 

Day 80/81:

It's been several years since I've had one of my horses colic....guess I was due...I still don't care for it.  I hate seeing my animals not feeling well.  On the bright side, Opal is feeling much better.   She's had an easy week of walks, light grazing on the new green grass, and psyllium with her mash.  She was feeling more like herself each day.  

She gave me a startle Thursday when I put her back in her pasture.  She decided to lay down.  I walked out to her and she stayed down, something she had not EVER done until her colic.  She sat up so she was on her belly, let me love all over her while she was laying down, and eventually got up and went looking for her bucket of goodies she gets at the end of the day.  I think someone was just sun bathing.  However, she did stay down with me over her back rubbing her belly and loving on her.  Colic isn't the way I had hoped this would have happened, but at least she will stay down for me now.  

 Happy mustangs.

Friday Greg brought his new horse trailer to the ranch.  We spend the afternoon loading Opal and Amigo (Gerg's mustang) in and out of the trailer until they were comfortable being in both spots in the rig.

Patrice loading and unloading your horse often at home so they are ready when you're ready to hit the road.

By Saturday I could tell Opal was 100% back to normal and was feeling herself once again.  I decided I'd ride her Sunday morning.  I didn't want to over due Opal's first ride back, so I borrowed a bareback pad to ride her.  We've never done bareback prior to today.  She did wonderfully.  While I rode Opal, Sarah Takahashi rode Ehawee and we both managed to sneak in a few pictures of the other riding.  It was a perfect day for it!  

 What's this thing Mom?
 Photos by Sarah Takahashi

Sarah riding Ehawee.

I fell behind recording a few of my hours and ride this week and last.  20 more rides to go and 6 more hours.  Going to have to start doubling up on rides.
 
12 week challenge 
Hours logged this week: 7
Total hours: 34
Rides: 10
 

No comments:

Post a Comment