Thursday, September 5, 2013

Going for it.

Go for it! 

 Opal watching a horse lounging in the arena.

Day 29:

With Opal having such a great day previously, and since my whole family invaded my house for the weekend, I thought it would be a good time for them to meet her and for them to meet her.  Meeting 6 new people at once, two of them being kids younger than my daughter would be good for her.  Plus my Mom and sister Stephanie had a hand in me choosing her, so they should at least get to see her once in a while.  We aren't exactly a block away from each other up here.  Opal haltered with ease and had no issue standing, being touched and loved on by others, especially when she got carrots.  I lounged her for a bit so they could see her move out.  Everyone seemed to really like her, and I think she liked them.  Easy day for her :)

Day 30:

With my family having packed everything up and headed for their home, I could spend the afternoon with my girls.  I pulled out my bungee rope I use at the hitching post by my tack room.  Opal has been held by me while tacking up and has been doing pretty good at standing mostly still.  It's more cross-tie length, but gives plenty of slack for mew ones learning to stand.  Opal was more than happy to stand and graze while I brushed her down and tacked her up.  She didn't mind at all, and I wasn't tip-toeing around putting the saddle on.  I tacked her up like I would a horse who has done it a million times.  She never batted an eye.  She's still not thrilled about having the bridle put on with my arm between her ears, so I still am having to approach that from the front, but it will come in time.  


 Standing at the pole.

Next I lounged her.   I wanted to see how easily she would lope for me.  (ok, yes, yes I know.  In most of my videos I use the 'english' terms for the gaits walk, trot, canter vs. the 'western' walk, jog, lope.  I've been riding my whole life.  Western until I was 11, English dressage 12-14, hunter/jumpers 14-present.  Some habits are hard to kick)  With a little encouragement she picked up both her leads for a few strides.  It proves a bit of a challenge to lounge her, encourage her forward, and video at the same time....maybe I need a helmet cam?  lol

 A bit of a lope. 

I then needed to teach a lesson with Angie and her horse Tesoro.  I walked Opal over to the arena so she could see what all the fuss was about.  She stood there and watched Tesoro go around and around.  During the lesson she stayed right with me as I walked around coaching Angie.  Both horses did well.

 Sometimes training means standing there and not doing much of anything.

After the lesson I took Opal out for a new group shot of my girls, and to remind her of what weight on her back felt like. 

My girls.

Opal had been doing so well, I decided to just go for it and jump in the saddle.  What's the worse that can happen.....I get tossed?  I tell my riders if that's your biggest concern, we need to rethink riding.  It comes with the territory, it's never fun, it always hurts - especially as you get older :X  - but you always learn from it.  Some of my best learned lessons come from hitting the ground, and the reason I know when to bail now is because of all those falls.  

I walked Opal over to the mounting block and got right on.  I have not yet put my foot in the stirrup and stepped up yet, but I will soon.  I did, however, have to lean over and twist my stirrups to get my foot in them.  They aren't the original to this saddle and are a bit big, but they work for now.  Opal simply turned her head to see what I was doing and nudged my shoe.  I gave her a squeeze and asked her to walk....nothing...gave her a few taps with my heel and asked her to walk....nothing...she turned to nudge my foot and looked at me saying "I don't get it, what do you want?"  Third time I gave a little more of a kick and told her to walk and she took 3 steps.  I gave her a pat and phrased her.  By the end of our ride we rode one whole lap around the arena.  She wasn't 100% clear about what to do with the bit, or why I was squeezing her at first, but we made one lap.  She did want to stop at the gate to go out with her pasture mates who were grazing, but I made her go past it before getting off of her and turning her out to play.  Second time on her back, first time without being lead by someone else, and she had zero tension in her body as we walked around.  I'm amazed by this girl.  

Mario (the Father of Angie who I give lessons to) was able to snag this video and a few pictures of our ride.  Of course the wind kicked up as I was riding....it has been doing this to me for months now, it has become a running joke at the barn.  If its windy out, I'm most likely on my way there at that exact moment.   I apologize for the wind tunnel sound effects, you might want to turn the volume down before playing it ;)


 First solo ride.

Day 31:

Another sunny day, perfect for horsing around.  Opal stood wonderful at the tie pole to be tacked up.  Even when the three two year olds who were turned out came snooping around to investigate.  They thought they were going to push her around, I quickly told them otherwise.  No one messes with this Alpha Mare ;)  Plus if I had not stepped in, Opal would have done something about it, and I didn't really want a big fight at the tie pole.   

 Standing like a champ.

While Opal lounged well in the egg butt snaffle, she just didn't seem thrilled with it while riding.  Granted, she doesn't know much about whats going on, but something kept me thinking it wasn't the right bit right now.  I swapped out the egg butt snaffle for a copper full cheek snaffle with a curb chain.  She fussed with this bit in her mouth much less than the other.  I lounged her for a few minutes before walking over to the arena to ride.  I settled into the saddle again and began to walk around.  We made several half laps both directions today, and she seemed to respond better with this bit.  She even backed at one point.  She was still a bit resistant at times, and I'm not sure if it was because I was asking her to go away form her friends who were grazing outside the arena or the bit, or both.  Next ride I'll turn them out after I work her.  Once again she was calm about having me on her back and had to problem strolling around the arena.

 My riding shots from today.

Marialaina, who owns Kickin' Back Ranch where my horses are boarded at, came out to watch her ride.  She took a couple videos while she was at it.  



We have lots of work ahead of us, but I'm encouraged by the progress she is making.  My daughter loves spending time out at the barn as well.  I don't think there is an animal there she doesn't love, but I think Raider, the donkey, might just be her favorite.  He's a wonderful boy and loves the kids.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment