Monday, June 2, 2014

The storm before the calm

 "The storm before the calm."
Cameron Conaway, Caged: Memoirs of a Cage-Fighting Poet  

“In times of stress, the best thing we can do for each other is to listen with our ears and our hearts and to be assured that our questions are just as important as our answers.”  -Fred Rogers, The World According to Mister Rogers: Important Things to Remember 
  
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." -Mae West

"It's not who you are that holds you back, it's who you think you're not." -Unknown



May 2014:


Change can be welcoming and scary at the same time.  Even more so when it comes to the care of your human and furry family.  I have had horses all my life and as a child my Parents told my Sisters and me "If you want horses, you have to take care of them yourself."  This meant feeding, cleaning, grooming, exercise, digging trenches to fix a busted pipe in the middle of summer or in the pouring rain, the list goes on.  My horses growing up only resided in 2 places, my Grandparents from age 0 - 10 and my parents house until I got married at the age of 24.  Boarding was a foreign concept to me and to be honest, frightened me.  Who could I trust to take as good of care if not better care of my horses than I could?


I have been fortunate to have boarded at two facilities that I really loved at the time I was there, but the time has come to move once again.  This time it wasn't because the ranch was being sold, but for the well being of my animals and me.  Horses are my measure on my happiness in my life, when I start to not want to spend time with them, or I dread going to my 'sanctuary' (aka the barn), its time for a change.....scary, scary, unpredictable change.


Plans were set into motion for the beginning of June to move my girls out of their pasture and into their own stalls and paddock.  Their very behavior was changing, and not in a good way.  The barn began to change, and not in a good way.  My sanctuary was no more as I found myself counting down the days to my trip to Bishop Mule Days and the move versus the days until I would be back home working with my horses again.  I was also avoiding conflict as I just don't want to deal with drama in a place I am suppose to find peace.


June 1st and 2nd:

First of June was moving day, and since I left Southern California at 4 am, it was also a long day.  I never recall exactly how much gear I have until its time to move it all.  I managed to fill up the back of the truck and the cab of the truck, and I still have a saddle at home waiting to go back.  Both Ehawee and Opal loaded into the trailer like old pros.  Practice, Practice, Practice, it pays off.  

Once at the new barn we showed the girls to their new houses.  Opal wasn't too sure about walking into the barn at first, then she wasn't sure about entering the stall, but eventually followed me in a few moments later.  Ehawee was a bit excited about the new barn, calling out to anyone who could hear her.  Lunch was waiting for them in their stalls.  Opal dove right in while Ehawee stayed mostly outside her stall to holler at everyone.  They settled down by dinner time and by morning were eating inside just fine.  


Ehawee still had lots of energy and needed a good lounging.  She is very herd bound right now, which will lessen over time as they settle into their new homes. Ehawee also enjoyed several good rolls.

Opal doesn't seem too bothered about being separated, especially since she gets to eat her whole meal without being chased off.  Opal hardly lifts her head if there is food in her stall to eat.  Opal was lounged a bit today as well and turned out in the large turnout. She rolled, bucked, kicked, and RAN!  I mean she tucked her butt under herself and was having a grand time.  


Seeing the way my girls behaved today versus the last several weeks and months reassures me in my decision.  We have a new place to find our peace together again.


 
Starting to settle in.






No comments:

Post a Comment