Friday, September 27, 2013

Picking up speed

Picking up Speed 

Standing at the tie pole. 

Day 40:

Day 40 brought me a 30 minute ride around the arena at a walk with Opal.  She just needed a little bit more of a 'go' to get her going.  I rode with a crop and gave her a bit of a tap with it when she needed reinforcement.  After the second tap with it, she had the idea.  30 minutes later I dismounted, not having to use the crop again.  Keep in mine, this was a tap not a strike.  I never use a crop with excessive force.  They are an extension of the arm not a tool of discipline.  

 Going around the arena.

After our ride, I worked with her feet.  She picked them up with ease (yay!)  Then as we were exiting the arena, she snorted at my daughter's blanket.  I tossed it around, let the wind catch it, used it like a picnic blanket, and of course, covered Opal with it. 








Day 41:

Some exciting news.  There's horse events pretty much every weekend until Thanksgiving!  Even more exciting, if the weather holds and doesn't dump snow the day we leave, in 5 weeks Opal will be joining LRTC (Least Resistance Training Concepts) in her first Parade for Nevada days!!! I will determine whether I ride or walk her the day of, but she will be tacked up and all glitzed out.  Its the 75 Parade so the theme is "Celebrating 75 years".  However, to incorporate a bit of history, our group will be dressed up 'old west' style celebrating with our Mustang horses.  Knowing this is coming up fast, I needed to get her off the ranch, exposed to the world and work with her 'glitz'.  We practiced with one piece of the attire today.  She didn't mind it one bit, in fact, she carried it for about a hour total.




 Working with the Celebration sign.

After our ride today 3 of us took our mustangs a mile down the road to the post office.  This meant walking on and off the road, new smells (Opal caught a nose full of dead skunk, shook her head and snorted) not to mention cars, trucks, trailers, big rigs, and motorcycles.  Plus being away form home and away from her friends.  YIKES!

Opal (as well as mustang Sancho owned by Marialaina and mustang Amigo owned by Greg) did exceedingly well.  She walked along steady, but slow, and did a lot of talking to horses as we went by. 



 Opal, Sancho, and Amigo walk to the Post Office.






I did discover a scary monster for Opal.   Want to know???

Come closer....

shhhhhhh.....

motorcycles.


Yep.  First one went by as we were hand walking them down to the post office and Opal snorted, huffed, pulled back, spun (there went my lead line, oh please stop) and halted 10 feet form me next to Amigo.  I knew there was a reason I had her in the middle.  Not cars, not trailers, not big clunky big rigs.  Big, loud, hogs. 

Now, I should say this was a very nice rider, he moved over to the other side of the road away from us, and even slowed down, so he wasn't being rude or trying to cause trouble, but Opal thought it was going to get her.  Shortly after a second motorcycle came down the road.  I talked to Opal, and while she stood still, she tensed up in her whole body.  She's going to have to learn to deal with them and even more important, trust me in scary situations. 

We got to the post office and the little market in our two building downtown center.  We stopped for a drink (gave the horses one as well out of a water bottle.  Hey, sometimes you don't have a bucket) and realized for a few moments before heading back to the ranch.  Opal had to not only learn about vehicles, but city slicker stuff as well, like stepping on and off curbs and crossing rail road tracks, both did not phase her.

 Curbs and railroad tracks can present challenges to horses not use to them.

On our walk back, Opal walked with more purpose in her step.  Not racing, but focused on getting home.  She didn't talk to other horses, but they were also busy eating dinner.  We had one more motorcycle come by.  I stopped Opal to let her watch it.  The second she saw it, she calmly walked behind me to hide.....I'll take that over running away any day.  Once home I gave Opal some bran mash to munch on while I un-tacked her.  She hasn't been sure of sticking her nose in buckets and I might need her to some day (very soon) but today, she finally did.  She was a mess, but at least she enjoyed it.






No comments:

Post a Comment