Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Winter is coming

Winter is coming. 

One long forelock.

Day 16:

Winter is coming, eventually.  Later rather than sooner I hope.  I enjoy the rain, I just hate the mess it makes for my horses....that and I don't like being cold....not one bit.  Ehawee (my bay mustang) has worn her winter blanket all of 5 times at most.  I like having them on hand in the event it gets cold or they get sick and need to wear one.  Since I've been working on desensitizing Opal all over, it never hurts to try and fit her for one now before I need it.

Opal didn't mind it much until a breeze picked up and made it fly around....so scary.  After a few moments she let me slip it right over her head and onto her body with ease.  We walked around on the grass for a few moments before taking it off.  After all, it is still summer.

 Walking with a blanket with ease.

After taking the blanket off, we walked back over to where my daughter was sitting in her stroller.  Opal decided to say hello to her and check out her stroller.

Hey kid, can I have some goldfish?

Day 17:

Sick kids make for sick Moms....thus cutting into horse time.  A nasty midwinter cold in July??  Ugh, go away winter crud, its summer!

 Opal loves being brushed, so this is how we start our day.  I placed a saddle pad and the surcingle on her before walking her into the round pen.  I attached 2 plastic bottles to the surcingle and had her walk around.  After a few laps I asked her to trot out.

I'd rather eat the grass, but ok I'll walk around.



Even though I had to use the lounge whip a little to keep her going, she did very well for her first lounging session.  She was very excited to go graze with the other mustangs after her lounging session.  

 



No comments:

Post a Comment