Thursday, July 4, 2013

Standing and the 'Mane' event

Standing and the Mane Event 

There you are Mom.
  
Day 11:

Yesterday was hot again...105 hot, and early mornings at the barn are hard this week.
Today, however, I was out by 7:45 am. Today was the 'mane event'. I walked up to the pasture and Opal walked right up to me and let me haler her.

Ready to go!

We walked over to my tack room where there was grass for her to graze on. I knew this would be doing this in phases. She didn't mind me putting the Cowboy Magic detangler in her mane, she was content munching on grass. I got 1/4 of her mane undone before her break.


 One strand at a time.
I turned her out in the arena for her break and let her say hi to the other horses who were turned out to graze and run. She really likes Shaman, but Whiskey really likes her...what is a mare to do?
After her break I have her a flake of alfalfa and looped the rope over the tie hook. Not enough to stop her if she pulled back, but enough that with my hands or foot I could provide some tension so we could work on being tied up.

 Lead rope is up and out of the way of her hooves and my feet, but easily accessible if I need to get her attention.

Opal gave no resistance to having her dreads brushed out. I probably went through 1/4 bottle of Cowboy Magic, it really is magic, though I've known that for years.  While Opal didn't stand perfectly still, she did stand well for her first time. A hour or so later she was all untangled.



 The bucket is full of loose hair and knots, but she is all brushed out.
It was hot out, so I turned on the hose and walked her back and forth over it. She was hesitant at first, but with carrots and the clicker, we walked over it calmly a few times, but still was not thrilled about it.  In good time.

 I'm not so sure I want to walk over there with you Mom.
Time to call it a day, or so I thought. The mares in the pasture with her decided they wanted to remind Opal that she was bottom of the pecking order at the gate as she walked in. Opal backed way up...and back and back and back. No amount of encouragement was getting her back near the now open gate. 2 mares slipped out the gate, including my Ehawee, who took off running to the arena. Opal feels safe with her so she pulled back, and I let her go. I knew I could catch her, but I needed to get the other mares away.

Once I got the other mares back in the pasture, Opal and I went into the green pen to calm her down and get her listening to me again. She was still timid once we got to the pasture gate again, but each time she stopped, I walked up to her, pet her and spoke softly to her, letting her know she would be ok and I was there to protect her. Once in the pasture I stayed with her, unhaltered, just petting her and talking to her. She followed me to the gate and I gave her a hug, and she wrapped her head around me. A small set back ended with an amazing moment.
 

1 comment: