Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Kids and Horses.

Kids and Horses.
 Lounging in the wagon watching Mommy ride.

Day 71:

Today's post is all about Opal since Ehawee enjoined a turn out grazing day.  Today I saddled Opal up for a ride in the horse course.  I wanted to work her over the hill a few passes while getting her to bend and move off my leg.  We took the hill together both directions, and while she prefers going right, she did better today going left.  Another added challenge, Opal's pasture mate Satin was in the horse course as well with Marialaina working on some ground manners.  Opal had to work without going right over to see her friend.

Opal standing at the tie pole. (Left)  Satin in the horse course. (Right)

She's had an amazing journey to this point.  Calm, level headed, smart, willing to learn, and trusting.  My daughter has been wanting to ride her since we saw her at BLM in June, and since her horse (Ehawee) is just getting back into action, once I felt Opal was ready, I promised her that she could.  Today was that day.  Opal was calm and listened to my Daughter's commands, walk, ho, and back.  My Daughter even pet her telling her "Good girl" and used the clicker as well.  Opal would look to me from time to time as if to ask "do I do what she told me to Mom?".  I walked them around on a lead rope and once they were both comfortable, we walked back to my tack room to end the ride.  Greg took a few pictures of the three of us together as well.  Amazing day.

Opal and my Daughter go for a ride.





 

12 week challenge 
Hours logged today: 3
Total hours: 15
Rides: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment